Can I roll over funds from my IRA to my HSA?


Leah avatar
Written by Leah
Updated over a week ago

Yes. The government does allow a one-time transfer of funds from an IRA to an HSA. The transferred amount, when combined with other HSA contributions for the year, may not exceed your annual maximum contribution. Also, after making such a transfer, you must continue to participate in a qualifying high-deductible health plan for 13 consecutive months, beginning in the month of the IRA-to- HSA transfer. If you do not, you will be subject to income taxes and a 20 percent penalty tax on the transferred amount, except in the case of death or disability.

Such a transfer may be an option if you incur significant medical expenses and find yourself unable to afford to make the maximum HSA contribution.

Did this answer your question?