If you are no longer eligible to contribute because you are enrolled in Medicare benefits, or are no longer covered by a qualified HDHP, distributions used exclusively to pay for qualified medical expenses continue to be free from federal taxes and state tax (for most states) and excluded from your gross income.

Did this answer your question?